I am supper happy to share with you today the next post in the my city series: Boston by Alivia from Brunch in April
The city: Boston, Massachusetts
When i think about /my city/ I think about: My friends (I live with four of them), changing season, hard work...a mix of very different things. I only moved to MA when I was 18, but I feel like I grew up here-- matured here. Thinking of this city is bittersweet; I love the entirety of its existence, but I'm not sure it feels the same way about me...know what I mean?
I love: The accent. Most people absolutely hate it, but I think it's got a certain kind of charm. I love seeing JFK's picture on the wall in elderly people's homes. I love the brilliant history behind every brick and street corner. I love the pride people have for this city.
Soundtrack(s) of the city? ( albums / songs that everytime you listen to makes you remember the city for whatever reason: Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros alum 'Up From Below' will forever bring me back here, as well as 'Plans' by Death Cab for Cutie.
Favorite spots in town: (culture, eating, shops, parks, library, going out, etc...anything that comes to your mind): The Common, definitely. Any farmer's market. Boomerangs, my favorite thrift store ever, which allows customers to bring in their pets (plus the volunteers that work there are super sweet). Last but not least, Anna's Taqueria makes the absolute best quesadillas on the face of the earth.
Best ice cream in town: I know this isn't ice cream, it's frozen yogurt, but Berry Line is so wonderful I can't help but mention it. If froyo isn't your thing, J.P. Licks is probably the best place to go!
If i had a day to spend in town this is what i would do: Probably visit all of the aforementioned places! Visiting the Fine Arts museum is fun as well, so if my one day in Boston turned out to be cold and rainy, I'd probably start there. Thrift stores really bring their game around here, so I would love to explore some more of those, too.
Why never leave: The mixture of cultures, moods, styles...I could go on and on. There's just so much to see and do here, it's really not fair to the city if you're ever bored while visiting. My roommate and I were talking about how Boston is so full-up of old charm and history that brand new places seem overwhelmingly cold.
Reasons why pack and move: Honestly, most of the time I love the crabbiness of Boston city folk, (somehow it's endearing to me!) but it starts to wear on one's patience. Road rage and short tempers all around are really prominent, and it's quite aggressive sometimes. I also could do with less traffic, while we're on the subject :) Besides that, I'd love fewer restrictions on farm animals and farming in general. I'm aching for some land to plant in and run on :)
For which city (could be all around the world) would you trade it for? and why? (not forever, lets say for 1 year maybe): I loved Ireland when I visited in college. I wouldn't mind living in there--any city there at all--for a year (or more!). The people were charming, the scenery was breath taking...I could have stayed indefinitely. The city-lover in me wanted to say NYC at first, though, to be quite honest!
|Thank you so much Alivia for sharing all this with us!|













4 comments:
I love this series!
I've only visited a few places in my life- outside of my home city- and Boston is one of them. I was only 14 the last time we visited-but I fell in love with the city. My 15 year old son will have the opportunity to visit Boston in the Fall on a school trip. I hope that he walks away with the same enthusiasm for the city as I did.
This is a great post! I love Boston, and currently live an hour away in Providence. I love visiting because there is just so much to do, and I do something new each time.
Thanks for having me-- this post was so fun :)
I love that Boston oozes history and I love the old New England feel. These photos capture it so well! I really like this series and seeing other cities!
Post a Comment